Saturday, October 17, 2009

Enthralled

Thirty years ago, John Piper sensed God leading him away from his career as a college professor (teaching Bible) to serve as the pastor of a local church. Here is a portion of his journal entry from October 14, 1979, that inspires and challenges me on this Saturday as I finish my sermon for tomorrow.
The urge is almost overwhelming [to resign from position as professor to pursue the pastorate]. It takes this form: I am enthralled by the reality of God and the power of his Word to create authentic people.

He later writes, imagining God speaking to him and contrasting the role of the academician from the shepherd:
I will not simply be analyzed; I will be adored.

I will not simply be pondered; I will be proclaimed.

My sovereignty is not simply to be scrutinized; it is to be heralded.

It is not grist for the mill of controversy; it is gospel for sinners who know that their only hope is the sovereign triumph of God’s grace over their rebellious will.

Source

No comments: