Wednesday, September 15, 2010

You Can Change #4 (Chapter 1)

We will discuss Chapter 1 of You Can Change at our small group meeting on September 26. Since this is a longer chapter, I'll be blogging frequently over the next week and a half.

Chapter 1 begins with a question that also serves as its title: "What would you like to change?" This illustrates one reason why I really liked this book: it's practical because it forces us to think and act specifically. That's all fine and good, but now I have to answer the question!

One paragraph later, the author writes, "We all want to change in some way." Do you have a list of things spring immediately to mind? That's an important step, but the rest of this post might not be for you.

What if you don't know how to answer the question? You might think, "I know I'm supposed to be growing as a Christian, but what should I focus on? I just don't know."

I think the problem with me is worse than ignorance. It could be that I'm really good at looking away from my weaknesses, failures, and sin. Maybe I've gotten comfortable with complacency. It's one thing to say "I wish I wasn't spiritually apathetic" and another thing to pursue life in Christ.

If I don't know what needs to change in my life, it's a good idea to begin by asking for God to expose these areas in my life. Can you pray this prayer over the next few days?

Lord, show me where I need to change, where I need to grow. Be merciful in exposing my sin, because it is uglier than I want to admit. Even more, remind me of your grace in Christ that shows I can trust you to do me good in all this process of transformation.

No comments: