Sunday, November 23, 2008

A Man's Rejection of God Is Bad News for His Neighbor

John Piper passes along this quotation below, which struck me as another expression of the theme of Titus we have been exploring, which was that sound doctrine and godly living go together in the life of the church because, while grace means that salvation is not by works, it also means that we are saved to do good works.

If I want my own way rather than God’s, it is quite obvious that I shall want my own way rather than the other man’s. A man does not assert his independence of God to surrender it to a fellow man, if he can help it.
- Roy Hession, The Calvary Road, p. 35.

If we have been humbled by grace, and have submitted to our Lord and Savior, we will be that much closer to acting grace-fully and loving sacrificially with regard to our neighbors.

No comments: