Monday, June 15, 2009

A Little Break

I sat down to read Matthew 11:20-30 this morning-- not to do any sermon work, but just to get it in my head. As I was savoring some thoughts it brought to mind, I suddenly remembered that I will not be preaching this coming Sunday(!). I have to admit that I was a little disappointed, though of course it was my own plan. I am enjoying Matthew so much that I always seem to look forward to preparing the next sermon, and I hope some of what I am gaining from this account of Jesus' life and ministry is trickling down to you.

There are two reasons that I am not preaching this weekend. First, I have another Sunday of vacation to take before the end of July, and so I am taking Sunday through Tuesday to spend with my wife in Chicago. Thanks, Priceline.com!

The second reason is that not preaching will allow me to spend more time in preparation for a retreat that our Council of Elders will be taking this Friday night through early Saturday afternoon. I mention this to ask for your prayers both for my preparation as well as our elders' time together as we think through short-term and long-term goals and plans for our church.

So, you can look forward to hearing your other pastor preach on Sunday and wait for the conclusion of Matthew 11 on June 28.

No comments: