Thursday, August 06, 2009

"There Is Nothing You Can Do to Harm Me"

The New York Times on recent violence in Pakistan:
The blistered black walls of the Hameed family’s bedroom tell of an unspeakable crime. Seven family members died here on Saturday, six of them burned to death by a mob that had broken into their house and shot the grandfather dead, just because they were Christian.

John Chrysostom (ca. 347-407), facing banishment for his preaching:

"You cannot banish me, for this world is my Father's house."

"But I will kill you," said the empress Eudoxia.

"No, you cannot, for my life is hid with Christ in God," said John.

"I will take away your treasures."

"No, you cannot, for my treasure is in heaven and my heart is there."

"But I will drive you away from your friends and you will have no one left."

"No, you cannot, for I have a Friend in heaven from whom you cannot separate me. I defy you, for there is nothing you can do to harm me."

Source 1, 2

No comments: