Saturday, November 20, 2010

You Can Change #31 (Chapter 3)

Tim Chester, in You Can Change:
Sometimes people say conversion is all God's work, but sanctification is a cooperation between us and God. Neither statement is entirely true. Conversion is all God's work, but we have a responsibility to respond with faith and repentance. But it turns out that faith and repentance are also God's work in us, his gift to us. God opens blind eyes. God grants repentance (Mark 8:18-30; 2 Corinthians 4:4-6; 2 Timothy 2:25). That's why conversion is entirely an act of God's grace. But, at God's initiative and with God's help, we're involved. And it's the same with sanctification. Sanctification is God's work. But we're not passive. We have to respond wit faith and repentance. And again it turns out that faith and repentance are God's work in us. So salvation from start to finish is God's work, in which we are active participants through faith and repentance by the grace of God. (55)

This section might seem a little dense, but let me see if I can help. Justification, specifically (being made right before God) is something only God can do in Christ because I am unrighteous and only Jesus is righteous. I can't "get righteous" any other way-- it's only from God. However, as Chester notes, conversion (turning from sin to Christ in faith), does involve me, my thoughts, my heart, my actions. It is still by God's grace, in God's power, but I am involved. It's both a human decision and a divine miracle.

This is no more or less true of my ongoing life as a disciple of Christ. I must think, pray, decide, learn, choose, and so on, yet these too are by God's grace. This means I must have the basic stance of faith: depending on God for what I need and how I grow, even though I am to be active, not passive. It's not easy to maintain this balance, but it is true and the only way to grow.

Tomorrow's sermon is on Noah from Genesis 6 and 7. Listen for the combination and interaction of grace, faith, obedience, righteousness, and salvation in this story.

No comments: