Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Affliction

I spent some time in Psalm 119 this morning, and it was interesting to me to put together the verses that talk about affliction. I’ve assembled them in a sort of chronology of suffering.

In the middle of suffering, a cry for help

107 I am severely afflicted;

give me life, O Lord, according to your word!

Our instinctive appeal for deliverance

153 Look on my affliction and deliver me,

for I do not forget your law.

Reflecting on the sovereign goodness of God

75 I know, O Lord, that your rules are righteous,

and that in faithfulness you have afflicted me.

Finding comfort even as suffering continues

50 This is my comfort in my affliction,

that your promise gives me life.

Looking back at how God’s Word kept you going

92 If your law had not been my delight,

I would have perished in my affliction.

In hindsight, a learning experience

71 It is good for me that I was afflicted,

that I might learn your statutes.

Going forward, a new level of obedience and devotion

67 Before I was afflicted I went astray,

but now I keep your word.

No comments: