Thursday, December 02, 2010

You Can Change #36 (Chapter 4)

Tim Chester, in You Can Change:
I used to think of myself as that calm, gentle person-- the 7:30 [devotional time] me-- and concluded I was pretty godly! If I'm provoked to sin, then the problem must be whatever provoked me. But I've come to realize that the real me is the person who is revealed when the sinful desires of my heart are exposed by trying circumstances and annoying people. The real me is revealed when I'm too tired to keep up the pretense. (68)
This section of chapter four is called "My Circumstances Trigger My Heart." That's a good way to put it. We need to recognize the factors that lead us into sin, but the bottom line is whether or not we respond in obedience and faith, or in disobedience and disbelief.

We'd much rather point to the external factors ("The woman you gave me..."), than point to our own responsibility and failure. We even convince ourselves that person who is a sinner is not the real me.

What are we afraid of? Facing the ugliness of our own hearts? The sad reality of our daily sins and shortcomings? Why should this be daunting if we have the gospel?

Ignoring the facts will not help us grow. Committing to daily habits of confession, repentance, and faith, all grounded in the perfect sacrifice of Jesus Christ-- that makes it possible for us to be honest with ourselves and not go crazy.

What are the circumstances or times of day that reveal the best and worst of your heart?
Are there certain people that bring out the worst in you?
Can you identify what's wrong with you, not just with them?
Are these attitudes and responses the kinds of things that Jesus died for?

No comments: