Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Automated Prayers

Matthew 6:7-9
7 "And when you pray, do not heap up empty phrases as the Gentiles do, for they think that they will be heard for their many words. 8 Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him. 9 Pray then like this: 'Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name...

We believe that we pray, neither to inform God nor to channel him via repeated mantras, but to speak to him as a child would a father. That's why this is ridiculous, from the Dallas Morning News Religion Blog (and I'm glad that the DMN agrees with me):
This might not be the silliest idea I've heard this year.

But that's only because a lot of silliness crosses my desk.

There's a Web service that uses computerized voices to say daily prayers for subscribers.

"It gives you the satisfaction of knowing that your prayers will always be said even if you wake up late, or forget," the site says.

There are prayers for Catholics, Protestants, Jews, Muslims, and others.

The cost varies by prayer, but most are $3.95 a month.

My first thought when I found this was: No one would be dumb enough to send these people money.

My next thought was: Jimmy Swaggert, Jim Bakker, Robert Tilton, Benny Hinn...

No comments: