Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The Treasure Principle

About five years ago, I read Randy Alcorn's little book called The Treasure Principle: Unlocking the Secret of Joyful Giving. It's an engaging and challenging read, and I would commend it to you if you want to think more about your own attitudes toward money and possessions.

The basic idea in the book, the "Treasure Principle," is this: “You can’t take it with you, but you can send it on ahead.” This idea comes from a portion of Scripture that will be addressed in the next sermon in our series from the gospel of Matthew.

Matthew 6:19-21
19 "Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, 20 but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
Here are his "treasure principle keys" that support his main idea:
“God owns everything. I’m His money manager.”
“My heart always goes where I put God’s money.”
“Heaven, not earth, is my home.”
“I should live not for the dot [life on earth] but for the line [eternity in heaven].”
“Giving is the only antidote to materialism.”
“God prospers me not to raise my standard of living, but to raise my standard of giving.”
Here's an excerpt:
Suppose you buy shares of General Motors. What happens? You suddenly develop interest in GM. You check the financial pages. You see a magazine article about GM and read every word, even though a month ago you would have passed right over it.

Suppose you’re giving to help African children with AIDS. When you see an article on the subject, you’re hooked. If you’re sending money to plant churches in India and an earthquake hits India, you watch the news and fervently pray.

As surely as the compass needle follows north, your heart will follow your treasure. Money leads; hearts follow.

I’ve heard people say, “I want more of a heart for missions.” I always respond, “Jesus tells you exactly how to get it. Put your money in missions—and in your church and the poor—and your heart will follow” (p. 44).

This compilation was taken largely from this post.

No comments: