Thursday, October 07, 2010

Two Types of Idolatry

This goes well with the previous post. For more on this topic, see Tim Keller's Counterfeit Gods.

Darrin Patrick:

Surface Idols. The more observable of the two types of idolatry, surface idols are often easily-seen offshoots of deeper, less obvious sins. Some examples include:

  • Image idolatry- Life only has meaning / I only have worth if I look certain way.
  • Helping idolatry- Life only has meaning / I only have worth if people are dependent on me.
  • Work idolatry- Life only has meaning / I only have worth if I am highly productive.
  • Materialism idolatry- Life only has meaning / I only have worth if I have a certain level of wealth, financial freedom, and possessions.
  • Inner Ring idolatry- Life only has meaning / I only have worth if I am part of a particular social or professional group
  • Ideology idolatry- Life only has meaning / I only have worth if my political party or social cause is in or gaining power.

Source Idols- The more subversive idols are the ones that drive all the other types of idolatries in our lives. They include:

  • Comfort idolatry- Life only has meaning / I only have worth if I experience a certain quality of life or a particular pleasure.
  • Approval idolatry- Life only has meaning / I only have worth if I am loved and respected by ________.
  • Control idolatry- Life only has meaning / I only have worth if I am able to get mastery in my life over a certain area.
  • Power idolatry- Life only has meaning / I only have worth if have power and influence over others.

No comments: