Thursday, October 14, 2010

You Can Change #19 (Chapter 2)

In You Can Change, Tim Chester continues with three biblical images for our new identity in Christ that should motivate us to change. The second is "You Are the Bride of Christ," and he uses this illustration:
Why do I bring my wife a cup of tea in bed in the mornings? It’s not because I need to make her mine. She’s already my wife, just as Christ is already my bridegroom. It’s not because I need to make sure she won’t leave me. She’s committed herself to me with the covenant promises of marriage, just as Christ has committed himself to me with covenant promises. It’s not even so she’ll treat me well. She often treats me well even when I treat her badly, just as Christ is always gracious toward me even when I don’t deserve it. No, I try to please my wife because I love her and because she loves me. I delight in delighting her. So it is with Christ. Christ is our lover, our partner, and our bridegroom, and so we live for him, want to please him, and do what he asks. The more my wife loves me, the more I find myself loving her. Christ has loved me with infinite love, giving himself for me on the cross. He loved me when I was unlovely. If I’m holy, clean, or radiant, it’s only because he made me so. And so I love him and live for him. (32-33)
Let's make this parallel more explicit. Here's what a healthy "marriage" relationship with Christ would look like:

1. I do not turn from sin to righteousness because it will make me a Christian. I already belong to Christ by virtue of his sacrifice, through faith.

2. I do not live obediently in order to keep Christ and salvation. He has promised himself to me.

3. I do not pursue holiness in order to gain God's favor. His favor is gracious (I do not deserve it), and he blesses me because I am in Christ.

So why do I so often operate as if all these things are riding on my behavior? That's a good question. Perhaps an even better one is this: How can I focus more the love that Christ has for me and live out of that reality?

What do you think would be some specific and practical ways to remember and be motivated by his love for you?


No comments: