Tuesday, October 05, 2010

You Can Change #12 (Chapter 2)

I ran across this flow chart today, and it certainly goes right along with what we've been reading together from You Can Change. The truth expressed in this chart is so obvious that it may be intended as ironic: If you're not happy, then change something. Duh! On the other hand, sometimes we need the obvious to be spelled out for us like that. Yeah, in one sense, it's that simple.

But we also have to see that this chart assumes that My Happiness is the major factor and ultimate goal. Thus, if I'm not happy, I need to change. If I am happy (or I don't mind being unhappy, which is to say "I'm happy being unhappy"), then I don't need to change.

The problem is, my sense of happiness is only a helpful gauge if it corresponds to God's assessment of my life. So, for all the personal, individual language that Tim Chester uses in You Can Change, like "What Would You Like to Change?" and "Why Do You Want to Change?", he is ultimately trying to get our thoughts to turn to God's Word.

As we've already seen, God's more concerned with our holiness than our happiness, but the good news is that our holiness will bring a deeper, richer happiness in God than we could ever have imagined.

This will be good for us to remember as we start Chapter 2: "Why Would You Like to Change?"

More tomorrow...


Source for graphic here, attributed to Alex Koplin and David Meiklejohn

No comments: